May 15, 2014

FEAR IS GOOD


I have had little to no time to sit down and write since arriving back home from Spain. I could ramble through my list of excuses - hard drive crashed – food poisoning – work – events – concerts etc. etc. etc. but how boring is that? We all have a list of excuses as to why we didn’t do something we really, really intended on doing. On my flight home, I dove head first into The War of Art by Steven Pressfield. At first recommendation, I thought “another totally unhelpful self-help book for the thirsty creative spirit”. Nevertheless, I bought it and just like that, I was committed. And then something amazing happened - I read the entire book and I loved it. The War of Art identifies our worst enemy, lays out a plan of attack to conquer this internal foe, and then directs us on a path that unveils how to achieve the greatest success. Pressfield emphasizes the importance of resolve which is needed to overcome our fears and the obstacles of ambition. It isn’t sweet and sappy. It doesn’t hold your hand. It says shut the f*ck up by effectively pinpointing how to reach the highest level of creative discipline. Personally, I thrive off of tough love. In just one week, even with events, and illness and what have you, I have accomplished more than I used to without being sucked into the power or resistance and distraction. So consider this me telling you to take a chance and read 164 pages. Do it especially if you’re tired of hearing yourself say “I’m just too busy”, or “I wish I were…”, or "I'm not good enough to do what I truly love". 
Once you've finished the book, I’ll have a new post up for you on my adventures in the mountains of Catalunya, Spain. 

 K x

“Are you paralyzed with fear? That’s a good sign. Fear is good. Like self-doubt, fear is an indicator. Fear tells us what we have to do. Remember one rule of thumb: the more scared we are of a work or calling, the more sure we can be that we have to do it.

― Steven Pressfield, The War of Art: Break Through the Blocks & Win Your Inner Creative Battles

No comments:

Post a Comment