September 2, 2014

LABOUR (DAY) OF LOVE: PRINCE EDWARD COUNTY

image: lindsbanban

I have been very lucky in my life to have many rural sanctuaries, which have provided me the essential soul asylum from the mayhem of the city. When I was growing up it was the beach in Maine, the lake in Memphremagog, and the farm in Caledon, then came my parents earthly paradise on Lake Muskoka, but it wasn't until about four years ago that I earned my green card at my besties Mum's lake house in Prince Edward County. I am usually drawn to the most remote locales when escaping the hum of the neon lights. I almost always prefer rugged terrain and secret beaches to the prim and proper - choosing unwashed hair and a make-up free face and the quiet of nature. A hammock, my yoga mat, a fire and wide open waters is truly, all I need. And then there is the county and the bounty that it holds in it's soil, in it's people and on the shores of it's elusive beaches. It has now officially become tradition that I spend labour day at the lake house soaking up the last drops of summer with late morning coffees, long paddle boards, lazy afternoon naps, breathtaking sunsets, delicious wines, local produce, and fabulous company. This weekend was no exception. So as we all prepare to get back to our "routine" take a moment to look back and relish all your blissful summer moments had near and far, in parks and on beaches, in laughter and in light!
Every labour day weekend Vicki's Veggies hosts their annual
Heirloom Hurrah Tomato Tasting with over a 100 different tomatoes and so much more.
Local farmers bring their finest to compliment the 50 foot table of heirlooms.
My favourites this year: Jaune Flamme, Nebraska Wedding, Black Cherry.
We left with our fair share of bounty and headed home for an evening of Panzanella and county wine. 
After Vicki's we headed over to County Cider to escape the humidity.
After a fleet of cider's, we settled on the County Classic Apple.
Light, refreshing, just the right amount of sweet and chilled to perfection.
Morning Yoga: My mat travels with me wherever I go.
This is one of my favourites places to practice alongside some of my favourite people.
There are few better ways to start the day.
image: normanhardie instagram

My three favourite selections from the man himself, Mr. Norman Hardie.
County Chardonnay, Calcaire and of course, the County Pinot Noir.
After an insanely busy weekend of tastings, pizzas and oysters, Norm's team
is gearing up for what promises to be yet another amazing harvest. 
My happy place. Sky above, Water below, Fire within...

As summer comes to a slow, steamy end, close your eyes and relive your BEST moments - the smells, the tastes, the sounds and the laughter; the late nights, camping trips, and moments of pure bliss. Write it all down so you can revisit your words when the earth freezes over. Practice gratitude. After all, sweater weather is not so bad... 

No comments:

Post a Comment