April 8, 2014

MEXICO: PART I

Looking back, every moment of our quick little hop over to Mexico plays like a scene from one of those highly addictive, lovable dark comedies starring two hilariously witty, super stylish best friends surrounded by a supporting cast of charming, downright weird, twisted characters. I am currently suffering from beach, ocean, and Greg withdrawal.

As this was my first time staying at an all-inclusive resort, my reactions to EVERYTHING were, apparently, quite entertaining. A whole lot of “…wait - let me get this straight, this is all free?”  and many unnecessary return trips to the dessert table.  

Here are the top 7 - very important - things I learned about resort vacationing:

1. There is no such thing as a 5-star all-inclusive resort
Make peace with that and you’re good to go. Let go of your expectations. This is not the Four Seasons.

2. For the best experience (and attention) book PLATINUM. 
Bonus: if you are childless, stay on the ADULTS ONLY side of the resort.
This is imperative! It made a world of different for us versus ‘them’. Think added extras like, free room service, private concierge, private adults only beach, private platinum lounge & pool… and premium alcohol.

3. Explore the grounds
Get the lay of the land as soon as you get there. Explore, ask questions and don’t be shy about it. If we had found out about our secluded, unreal, private platinum lounge on day 5 I would have been gutted.

4. Travel Light
DO NOT check a bag. You will avoid so much anxiety and save so much time (aka you will be on the beach faster). I did exceptionally well this trip. On top of The Essentials, I wore almost everything in my suitcase, which was very little considering it is the beach.

5. Protect your precious skin
I was born a sun worshipper. I have that skin that just tans instantly. Up until my mid-twenties, I seriously thought sunscreen was an unnecessary space waster in my cosmetic bag. My how things have changed. Between the delicate, weakening ozone layer, the intensity of the sun and your own vanity – wear sunblock: minimum 40 SPF for face, minimum 30 SPF for body. Trust me you will STILL be going home with that bronzed, sun kissed glow you were dreaming of all winter long.

6. RELAX
Let go of your strict workout routine and your rigid dietary guidelines from home and put down the non-fiction. Give yourself permission to exhale fully. Walk the beach and feel the sand between your toes. Read something light and entertaining. Sink into your lounge chair and listen to the best soundtrack on the planet: the waves.

7. Practice Gratitude
Whether you are on vacation to escape the winter cold, or to celebrate a birthday or wedding, take a moment (or two) for gratitude. 
For the opportunity to travel, for the love of your travel companion(s), for the warm sun, your health, your strength, and your breath. 






K x

No comments:

Post a Comment